Sunday 20 January 2013

Using aspects I liked from all the thumbnail images I began painting a being that reflected all of my design choices that were explored during my thumb-nailing stage.
I am very happy with how this design turned out. I especially like the sci-fi aspect of this character mixed in with a dark fantasy theme this could be the staple of my art style for the rest of the comic.

Dark Sci-Fantasy 
seems an appropriate title for this mixed genre 

 

I started by drawing quick random shapes largely using the lasso tool. This allowed me to very rapidly cut out vague and interesting shapes which I then filled in using my imagination.
I began seeing a type of techno mage appearing as I drew more thumbnail images and started to like the concept.


The mystics: my inspiration for these mysterious beings are the tails of druids and shamans mixed with an equally mysterious robed monks from Star Wars - The Silent http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Silent

The Silent started appearing in hospitals during the clone wars, the mere presence of these beings successfully increased recovery rates significantly and they never spoke hence the name.

I wanted to invoke a similar entity in Spawn of Darkness a group of strange robed sages that take up residence in the halls of Kings and Jarls offering their powers as a resident mage.
However their native language is poisonous to al living things and if heard even by mistake, can cast the listener into chaotic madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment